I am a sucker for a good heirloom. Seriously, y'all. Generations passing down tea pots, sterling silver serving sets, pocket watches, family cabins filled when the "when I was young..." stories. Something about sits dreamy in thoughts of my newborn's teeny fingers one day wrapped in the ring her daddy picked out for me, intentioned by him for a life of love and forever side by side on his mind. Something practical in legacy, a visual that helps give measure in smiles and gratitude to the spiritual design of how a legacy can change a life (add a little faith and let's call it in the thousands of lives).
The first few days of our new girl's life have been gloriously spent munching on fresh batches of peanut butter m&m + walnut oatmeal cookies. Buttery, salty, creamy, and almost (but really not even close) as sweet as our new little bean. A recipe to make at midnight when I should be catching up on lost sleep, to dunk in my coffee in the early morning in place of lactation cookies, and one to pass down to my girl as an heirloom that will always recall newborn snuggles, days of recovery after the laborious miracle of childbirth, and the ridiculous love for a life so new and fresh, but somehow so familiar as if it had always been a part of ours. A recipe simple from mom to daughter, but full of the wonder and my earliest hours and memories of the motherhood shift from one baby to two.
We adapted @SmittenKitchen's chewy oatmeal recipe ( because if you know Smitten Kitchen, then you know) and made it our own. You should do the same! I have plans to stuff them with dried fruit and dunk them in local, steamy cider as fall makes his entrance even more pronounced.
pb m&m + walnut oatmeal cookies
- 1/2 c salted butter (8 tbsp) - room temperature
- 2/3 c dark brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 c rolled oats
- 3/4 c peanut butter m&m's (sweet of choice)
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts (we like these loosely chopped in big chunks)
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- cream together butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract by hand with whisk in large mixing bowl
- combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, sea salt, oats, m&m's, and walnuts in small mixing bowl and stir until evenly combined and the m&m's and walnuts have a loose coating of flour mixture on them
- dump dry mixture into wet and stir until combined
- line baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop large, rounded tablespoon scoops of dough onto the sheet evenly spaced (you should be able to JUST fit all the cookie dough onto on large sheet)
- Bake 10-13 minutes, or until bottoms and tops are a golden brown (make sure it is a true golden brown, as the insides stay soft)
- Let rest of baking sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
To make things extra sweet, serve on heirloom china, or pack up and take to a special park day with your momma.