I am entering into fatherhood. Terrifying and exhilarating scratch the emotional surface of this season. I was challenged by my dear wife to come up with my own recipe that would bring me fame amongst my son and his friends. Britt says they're the best hotcakes she's ever had, so there. Culinary fame here I come. Use it for a date, treat your friends, do whatever you want with it. Learn to cook for crying out loud. Here we go:
Judah's Dad's Famous Choco-Banana Pancakes
Easily serves 2.
Tools for the trade:
1 large mixing bowl
1 small mixing bowl
potato masher (or back of a large spoon)
skillet (cast-iron preferred)
1 mug of fresh coffee (for endurance)
1.5 cup all purpose flour (whole wheat if you like cardboard)
2 tablespoons brown sugar (white works too)
1 tablespoon baking powder
.5 teaspoon salt
.5 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup milk
splash of half & half
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
.5 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional; if no, add a touch more sugar)
2.5 medium-size ripe bananas
handful or two of chocolate chips
4 tablespoons butter (for skillet cooking)
1.5 ripe banana, sliced
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
good maple syrup, warmed
1 tablespoon butter
1. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and chocolate chips in the large mixing bowl. Bring cast-iron skillet + 1 tbs butter to low-medium heat on stove.
2. In the smaller mixing bowl, whisk milk, half & half, egg, oil, and vanilla together.
3. Add the wet ingredients in the smaller mixing bowl to the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl.
4. Mash 2.5 bananas until pasty with masher or back of spoon. Add the banana to the batter and whisk until combined well.
5. Pour batter slowly into the middle of the pre-heated skillet until plate-size (go big or go home). Let the pancake cook until it starts to slightly bubble on the uncooked top.
6. Flip that mug.
7. Cook until both sides are golden brown. Feel free to toss it around a little in order to impress.
8. For subsequent pancakes, add a tablespoon of butter to the skillet before pouring more batter.
8 steps to breakfast glory. Add the toppings with care for a great plate.